Martes, Hunyo 3, 2014

Twilight 12

Hey folks! Since my favorite hour of the day ( or night) is 12:00 A.M, i'd like to share a short story i made. Hope you will dig this one..




“By this time it was well past midnight. You know how that is. It’s a time when you start asking questions about things that in the light of day you wouldn’t consider twice. It’s a time … well, we both know how that goes, in the dark hour.” 
― David Nickle

Its 12:00 in the midnight and all of the clocks in the world stop.
Analog, Digital or even our old and rusting grandfather’s clock begun to freeze as it hit the number 12 like someone unseen command every clock in the world to cease. Everybody woke up from their deep slumber. Some folks who aren’t too drowsy to sleep try to fix their clock but in their dismay it never works out; it is stuck at 12:00 where it isn’t morning or night. My younger brothers who have been watching sci-fi horror most of time told me that we are in the twilight zone. That mysterious phenomena in the T.V show where the characters are trapped in a some kind of bizarre world where the odds and mysterious things become as normal as having a one sunset and one sunrise every day.
I want to laugh with my brother’s sheer imagination but I guess from now on I will never see any sun rise or sun set anymore.
We lost time that day. We didn’t even know when we will start our day or when we will have to go to work or at school. At first, I felt that we are in paradise. Imagine, it’s like we have an endless summer (though we can’t see the sun and everything it totally in the darkness) where there is no school and I can play Final Fantasy all day. But days and weeks passed (of course we all just estimate the day and time nowhere days and its confusing) we begun to notice that trees begun to die. Most of the forest around the globe begun decrease up to 60%.  City people really didn’t care at all with that news. They just really care how will they work if they didn’t know when will they have to wake up or sleep again. It’s obviously scary to see people now in the city with sullen eyes that never blinks at all. Some developed deep eye bags that swallow their whole eyes. They nearly look like zombies from B-Rated Horror movies in our collection. Yet still they just keep moving and moving around the city. Groping and wandering around the city where the only lights that you can see are from lamp post and cars. But the clock is still on twelve and it never bulge or move. That’s the time when I feel that it isn’t fun anymore to have an endless summer wherein in fact we didn’t know if its winter season now or spring.
After some years (again we were just estimating everything regarding time) people seem to adapt the new environment. Everything just went back to normal except we are still in total darkness and most of the forest in the world died as well as the plants and flowers begun to vanish one by one. Today’s foods are mostly from animals: meat and fats. Stores are now selling foods and items with triple prices. They say their supplies are somewhat scarce now that we are living in the “Twilight” Age. People still try to work like normal people would do. Mom and Dad told us that if they don’t work, we will never live. School is still out so me and my brother are now being tutored by an old woman from our neighborhood who always bring some fresh steak for us. We found it too gross to eat that kind of food but she insist that a semi-cooked steak will makes us healthy and strong. Dad told us once that the steak that the old woman brings is delicious. He asked if it’s a pork or beef she just smiled revealing her perfect set of teeth (she doesn’t have any denture) and said it is a special kind of meat.
Crimes then suddenly become violent. Every time the news flash on T.V I have to cover the eyes of my young brother for it’s not appropriate for him to see bodies dismembered and slaughtered like pigs. He will just ask why should his eyes will be covered every time there is news on T.V. Mom and Dad didn’t really replied well so I said to him that the news is not good for kids now a days and it only tells scary things that didn’t really matter at all. “Like in the Twilight Zone?” he asked. I just laugh and hug him. I am such a lousy liar after all.
I knew it will really makes matter worst after I watched a documentary created by some experts on what is the effect of the twilight age in our lives today. It shows that being in total darkness for so long without the sun can affect our physical and mental welfare. It somehow changes our DNA or something about our genes that makes us adapt to it like we will have the ability to see in the dark and have a much sharper sense. It’s cool, we are becoming like mutants. But I nearly fell in my seat as they discuss that as time goes by, now that we are also running out of meat since domesticated, farm and even wild animals are losing their numbers rapidly. Then as the documentary continues, it plays a CCTV video of a lone girl walking in a street. Suddenly, a thin man sprang behind her and tackles her. At first I thought the man will rape the girl but as I look closely, the man swipe is hands against the girls belly like a feral beast. Blood splash in the street, then after wards a scream is heard while the man is feasting on the girl’s intestines. He glanced at the hidden camera with his two glowing sullen eyes. They are like burning coals that sends a chill to my spine, I was shaking that time that I think I will go on a seizure. Then the man smiled, revealing razor sharp teeth with blood all over it. A deep eye bags crinkle as he grin.
“Hey big brother, what are you watching?”
I quickly shut down my laptop with my hands trembling.
“Ah-no it’s nothing. Just some show, you know—“
My brother just looked to me curiously. He is so thin now even though we can still eat 3 times a day with nothing but meat.
“By the way, I tried to eat that steak from the Old Woman” he said sheepishly.
“What? Are you kidding me?”
“It’s delicious! You should try some!” he offers me a handful of meat in his arms. I nearly throw up as I see that the blood from the steak is too fresh. I remember that man from the video as he literally eats the girl.
“It gives me some cool powers too!” my brother proudly says as he ran outside where all the lights are shut down and you could see nothing but pale moon light which is now sarcastically a shocking blood red, like making some fun of me after I watched that documentary. We only see the moon every once in a while. It  reminds us that time still exist but tonight it makes me remember that man in the documentary and the bloodied stake. My brother went to street while I followed him behind. Our block seems so quite, not even cicadas and frogs are heard. My brother stepped into a darker part of one of the alley. I called him to stop his game since it’s quite dangerous for kids to just stroll around in dark places. As I enter the alley, two bright red eyes begun to stare at me in the darkness. My knees tremble in fear as it approach. I screamed until my lungs ached for air then suddenly I heard a giggle, then a bunch of chuckle and finally laughter. 
“You are such a pussy big brother” the bright red eyes begun to have a face. It’s my little brother. Then crowds of people begun to surround us. From my teacher, to the police women, even our Mayor was there. Mom and Dad together with our tutor emerged behind my little brother like they just materialized from the darkness. They eyes are glowing red, like the color of the moon tonight, like the color of blood.
“You should try it!” said my little brother as he munches the bloodied steak in his arm. Blood drips in his hands and on his mouth. Everyone grinned just like them man in the documentary. The smile of a beast or demon with razor sharp teeth. They start to drool blood one by one as they try to get closer and closer to me. I can’t move and tears starts to flow in my eyes. I also wet myself which in some way didn’t matter at all. Their hands starts to touch my body, first its delicate then it become harsh like they are trying to tear me apart.
It was 12:00 in the midnight. Everything is just silent. I feel those teeth sink into my thighs, groin, and neck and then suddenly the moon begun to grin. Her eyes are red and her teeth are dripping with blood.

And then I smiled on her.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento